There is no such thing as being too cautious when protecting what matters most; your home and family. A gun safe in your home to protect your firearms and valuables is a great start, but by itself, a gun safe cannot prevent someone from breaking into your home, or alert you to danger.
This is where home security systems come in. Home security systems are designed to protect you, your family, and your home from burglars and intruders.
What Protection Can Home Security Systems Provide?
There are many home security systems available on the market. Basic features alert you if someone opens a door or window, and audible alarms. More advanced features include high-quality security cameras with microphones that detect movement or sound, video doorbells, window break sensors, and app-controllable systems.
- Burglary or home invasion – You need a fast alert if someone is lurking on your property, picking a door lock, or breaking a window to gain entrance into your home,
- Children sneaking out at night – We did it then; they do it today. It can jeopardize not only their safety but could create a liability issue if their friends hurt themselves on your property.
- Elderly parents – Your older loved ones are fall risks; home security systems can let you know if they need immediate medical care.
- Environmental dangers – Alerting you to smoke, fire, and/or the presence of carbon monoxide, or even flooding in your home from a broken appliance or pipe, these features can save money and lives.
DIY vs. Hybrid vs. Traditional Systems
- DIY – Do-it-yourself systems are available in big box stores or from online retailers. You install them yourself, and run them yourself. There are a variety of components to build your own customized security solution. A DIY system can offer affordable protection. With some systems, you have the option to self-monitor your property with a smartphone app.
- Traditional – These home security systems offer professional monitoring; it “keeps an eye on things” for you. A traditional system is usually professionally installed, tend to be a little pricier than DIY or hybrid systems, and may require a long-term contract commitment.
- Hybrid – Some home security systems give you the best of both worlds. You can choose the components you want and need, and you do the installation. Then, you get professional monitoring for a nominal monthly fee. Depending on your subscription, you could choose a month-to-month service or pay for a year upfront. You don’t have to commit to a long-term contract and usually can cancel your subscription at any time.
A home security system can offer additional protection beyond what your gun safe already provides. Click here to learn more about how you can get the best security system in the industry.