Can I Change the Combination on My Safe Lock?
There might be a time when you want to change the combination on your safe lock. This could be because of one or more reasons like:
- You're concerned that someone, like one of your children, has discovered your combination.
- You're getting divorced and no longer want your spouse to have access to your firearms.
- You have fired an employee, or one has quit that has the combination to your safe lock.
- You have forgotten your combination.
- The combination is difficult to remember or is no longer meaningful to you.
It is possible to change the combination on your safe lock. However, depending on whether you have a mechanical or electronic lock will determine the route you'll need to take to get the job done.
Changing the Combination on a Mechanical Safe Lock
Some safes are equipped with a mechanical safe lock where you need to turn a dial to enter your code. Changing the code on this type of lock can be a little tricky because you'll need your lock's change key. If you have lost your key or never had one to begin with, you'll need to contact your safe dealer for assistance or have a reputable locksmith change the code for you.
Your safe's owner's manual should provide detailed instructions on how to change your safe lock's combination. Don't attempt to do a change on your own unless you are confident you know what you are doing. It's often better to consult with a professional first. If you do decide to change your combination, make sure you do it with your safe door open so that you don't end up being locked out of your safe if you make a mistake.
Changing the Combination on an Electronic Safe Lock
The process to change the combination on a digital/electronic safe lock is simple in comparison to a mechanical lock. If you have purchased a safe from Liberty Safe equipped with a SecuRam electronic lock, you have likely gone through the code changing procedure when your safe first arrived.
To change your safe lock combination code with the SecuRam TopLit or BackLit models, you'd simply:
- Press the "0" key six times (you will then hear two beeps)
- Enter your existing six-digit code (you should then hear two beeps)
- Enter your new six-digit code (you will hear one beep)
- Re-enter your new six-digit code (you will hear one more beep)
That's all there is to changing your combination code if you have one of those safe locks! And if you have a ProLogic L01 electronic safe lock, the process is made even simpler because the display screen will walk you through the entire process; just make sure that you have your Super Code or Manager Code available.
If you're shopping for a safe or your existing safe is equipped with a mechanical lock, upgrading to an electronic lock will make changing your combination a snap. Your local Liberty Safe dealer is always ready to answer any questions you might have about your safe's combination lock. Wondering how to change your safe lock's combination? Ask your Liberty Safe dealer.
Share this story